|Bench top glue-up: spreading the glue|
The type of glue I used was something called Gorilla Wood Glue (not to be confused with Gorilla Glue), which was one of the less expensive glues available at Home Depot. I bought a ~500 mL bottle, and used about 80% of it on this glue-up, which I didn't expect.
|Bench top glue-up: all put together|
Gluing the legs together was very much the same. Of course I had to buy some more glue first. This time, I bought a 1 L jug of Rona ECO carpenter's glue. I didn't buy it because of the ECO part, but simply because it is one of the least expensive (I can get a 4 L jug for the same price as a 3 L jug of LePage carpenter's glue for example). I only went with 1 L here so I could test the glue out and make sure there weren't any immediate issues with it. To save you from more gluing tedium, I will just show some pictures of the leg assembly.
As you can see, I improved my method a bit by covering the floor with cardboard for example to make glue squeeze-out easier to clean, and I went and purchased a set of spreaders for the glue, which made things a lot easier than the cardboard I was using earlier. It is now time to let the glue dry, next time I will look at the results of my glue up and try to clean off a bit of the squeeze-out with some sanding, after which I can cut all of these components to their final dimensions.